Gregory R. Miller
As a client-focused architect and designer, Miller saw firsthand how much clients want and need to be part of the design process. They want to know what is going on with every aspect of their homes or other structures, from the appliances they choose to the roofing materials. Especially in the residential space, the client is—or should be—in charge, with advice and recommendations from the designer, contractor and/or builder. That same trend is growing in other sector of the building industry. As a crucial part of the team at Building Knowledge Systems (BKS), Miller’s role is to infuse information dissemination technology into the process to:
- Bring the building owner(s) into the process, from start to finish
- Build tools that help homeowners select products for their home and provide just in time information about the different facets of a product or system that are most important to making smarter choices
- Help provide information about smart home and green technology to homeowners—and to contractors—who are in many cases behind the curve regarding the technologies that are viable, and necessary, today
- Keep his hand in a client-based architectural design services, bringing knowledge of current homeowner desires and expectations to his work. He is dedicated to synchronizing the world of architecture and building products with the computer world to provide better access and knowledge to end-users
- Disseminate knowledge digitally and in ways that are easily understood by millennials and older homeowners alike
- Lead the charge toward emerging technologies that will make the world’s largest industry (the building industry) more efficient and effective through technologies such as augmented reality, cognitive computing, and smart contracts
- Dissemination of knowledge about the connections worldwide between building-industry and environmental issues affecting not just the US, but other countries around the globe
Given his blend of technical expertise and architecture/design background, Miller is crucial to BKS’ mission of transforming the building community into one where the building owner(s) are deeply educated and involved in every choice and to show that there are better ways to disseminate what the homeowner wants, to contractors, builders, skilled tradespeople, and everyone involved in construction projects.
He was previously technology officer for Restore Media, LLC where he led the integration of building industry information with computer and Internet technology. From 2012 to 2014, Miller was technical developer for Restoration Exchange, LLC and built dozens of ecommerce websites for building product manufacturers.
Miller graduated from Stanford University with a B.A. in Architectural Design and in 1987, he received a Master of Architecture from California Polytechnic University in San Luis Obispo. At both institutions, Miller learned about programming computers and integrating their use into the AEC workflow. From 1993 to 2003, he was CTO of RDCinteractive, a firm that pioneered the integration of the building industry with new media and Internet technology. Miller was also a member of Terry Beaubois & Associates contributing to leading the work for bringing the municipalities of Palo Alto, Woodside, and Mountain View up to effective use of computer technology for the guidance, review, and approval of building projects in those municipalities.
Miller is experienced in web and custom application programming on a variety of platforms for a wide variety of clients. He has designed product selection systems, configurators, custom applications, and e-commerce websites for companies such as Hamilton-Sinkler, Bendix, Price Pfister, Trus-Joist, Kohler, Apple Computer, SleepQuest, Whirlpool/KitchenAid, Simpson Strong-Tie, Hanley Wood and 250 more companies. In addition, Greg is an Apple iOS authorized developer for the iPad and iPhone and an Android developer as well.